Thursday, May 2, 2013

Why Modesty Matters


I hate standing in the checkout lines at stores.  They are filled with magazines and papers with pictures of half~naked women on the covers.  And I am not exaggerating.  Tell me that I am not the only one who thinks this?!

So, why does this even matter?

Modesty is something I feel is very important.    How we dress sends a very clear message to others.  I know it is not up to me to judge others, but just by looking at someone, I can see what they feel is important in their attire.  Are they drawing attention to themselves and their bodies?  Or are they drawing attention away from their bodies?

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.  1 Peter 3:3-4

Our society tells us that beauty is what someone sees when they look at you.  Your outward appearance.  This is very evident in what we see some women wearing.  Much of today's fashions draw attention to certain parts of our bodies.   We want other's (read MEN) to look at us and find us attractive.

I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.  1 Timothy 2:9-10

Scripture tells us just the opposite.  We should dress modestly, with decency.  Our beauty should come from our spirit.  We should be beautiful on the inside, then we will naturally be beautiful on the outside.  Regardless of what society says. 

I am not saying that we should all wear black clothing that covers our entire bodies.  This can also be a way to draw attention to ourselves.  I do like to wear pretty clothes and jewelry.  But I am not dressing for the world.  When I pick out something to wear I think about how I look in this particular item.  Will other's see me, or will they see certain parts of me?

This is also what I consider when choosing clothing for our daughters.  I can not believe the clothing out there for young girls.  My six year old does not need to dress like a woman.  Whatever happened to the pink ruffly things for little girls?  It is even more difficult for our 16 year old daughter.  Since she is in womens sizing, it is difficult for her to find things that are not cut too low or too tight.  I am thankful that she, too,  looks at these things when choosing her clothes. 

As you get dressed this morning, just take a look in the mirror before you leave the bedroom.  Who are you dressing for?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Romans 12:2

Blessings,

4 comments:

  1. Great Post Jess! I agree, girls and women today leave nothing for the imagination. It's all out there and that is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Jess and hearing your views. So glad we are not alone in the modesty arena! My oldest posts about this occasionally for me and they are always well received...the message is a needed one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! I have featured this on the Wednesday link-up this week! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home. This is a needed message.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!