Monday, February 18, 2013

Moving With A Large Family

 
source~google

One word.....

ORGANIZATION!!

I must get organized with this move. 

We have started packing up boxes.  All are labeled with what is in them, and what room they are going into at the new house.  If there is something breakable in them, the word FRAGILE is in BIG letters on the box (our 6 year old can now read this word effortlessly!).  Good thing I happen to love the scent of magic markers!

We have a plan for the week of moving.  Since we are moving to my in~laws house, and since they (gratefully) have less "stuff" than us, we are able to move a few things in early.  We are taking the kids' beds down early and moving them in the new house before the big move day.  They can sleep on sleeping bags on the floor (they will love it, they'll make a campout of it for sure!), and this way their beds will be ready for our first night in the new house.

We will make sure each child has their special items with them.  You know, the beloved stuffed animals and blankets they can't live without.  I don't want a first night in a new house without their beloved things.

The kids are helping.  Our oldest son has his room practically all packed up already.  The older kids are packing their own room boxes and helping the little ones as well.  It takes the entire family to make this move happen (rather) smoothly.

We have lots of help.  Since this move is actually switching homes (we're moving to their house, they're moving to ours!), we needed double the crew~one for their house and one for ours.  We "plan" to have a crew at each house packing into trailers, and then moving to the other homes with that same crew (we're praying this will workout!).  We have family members, friends, and some strong willing men from church.

I'm making a list and checking it twice.  I've written down what I want cleaned before we move, what needs to be repaired, what is staying and what is going, and what I want accomplished before the moving day.  Checking things off a list just makes me feel like we're getting somewhere.

I'm (trying to ) extend grace.  I know that things are not going to go as smoothly as planned.  However,  I'm trying to keep my cool and know that it will all work out in the end.  I don't need to get crabby at everyone or everything in the process.  It will serve no purpose and just make things worse.  Prayer is getting me through this phase as only the Lord can provide me with peace in this area.

Oh, and one more thing.  We're praying for good weather.  March can be iffy here in Wisconsin.  We can expect snow or expect 70 degrees.  I'm praying more for the latter, but know that God is in control.  It will all work out!

Now if I could just wake up and it could be June!!

Blessings,

5 comments:

  1. We are a family of 6 and just moved. It's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family of 8 just moved 6 months ago; the actual process is never fun.

    The hard work will be worth it! Prayers for a smooth move!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my never easy to move let alone a big family you have the key idea though the organization has to be there
    come visit us when you find time at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jess! Praying everything goes well for you and the moving! We just moved from Oregon to Colorado a few months ago. Organization is definitely key and it sound like you have that under control. :) Hope you can all get settled quickly in your new homes! God bless!
    Amber
    ripplesograce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've moved our family way too much, so I understand the organization that goes behind it! Not fun, but worth it once it is all done. Visiting from Sharing His Beauty.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!