Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Large Family Living~Grocery Shopping


While I can't say I enjoy grocery shopping, it is something that must be done.  Shopping for a larger family while sticking to a budget can be tricky sometimes.  Over the past couple of years, I've tried many different techniques for grocery shopping.


We live in a town with 2 grocery stores.  There is an Aldi's about 15 miles away, and Costco is 70 miles away.  Our budget is tight for groceries, and hubby gets paid every 2 weeks.  I tried once~a~month shopping for several months.  It was nice to only have to go to the grocery store once during the month (with the exception of milk~I know the Economides family does it by freezing their milk, but I don't have enough room in my freezer for the 20 gallons we go through a month), but it was a pain getting that many groceries at once.  Then we still had to put away all those groceries yet too!  I have also done weekly shopping, but it seemed like I was spending more money on groceries.  Lately I've been shopping every 2 weeks and right now it is working well.

I start by scanning the ad's from our 2 local grocery stores.  Then I make a meal list for two weeks trying to use what is on sale at the stores.  I go through my coupons trying to match the sales for even greater savings, then off to the store(s) I go.  Since I live in a small town, it isn't difficult shopping at 2 different stores, but most of the time I try to get everything at the store with the greater savings.

I also get to Aldi's once a month to stock up on staples.  They have great savings on things like flour, sugar, eggs, cheese, canned items, cereals and produce.  I stock up on enough to get us through the month on these items to save even more money.  My little ones love to go there because you need to put a quarter in the cart (which you get back when you return the cart) in order to use one. 

While there are many different ways you can approach grocery shopping, I say find something that works and go with it.  And remember, just because it works now, doesn't mean it will work during a different season in your life!

Blessings,

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!